Born in Akola, Maharashtra, Yashwant Deshmukh completed his Bachelor of Fine Art in 1988 from Sir J.J. School of Art, Mumbai. Yashwant Deshmukh's work involves the overlapping of the visual iconography of form and symbols. He employs a visual language that evinces a conscious thought that goes beyond superficial representation of the obvious.
Yashwant Deshmukh's paintings embody the artist’s search for the beyond; the truth of things or the thing-ness of things. A strong presence of nostalgia predominates his works through the thickness of imageries, variation of colours and an abundance of autobiographical references. It is often the simple images around him that reflect on his canvas.
Among the many exhibitions Yashwant Deshmukh has been a part of, here are some of the major ones:
Yashwant Deshmukh was invited to participate in the Monsoon Art Show, sponsored by Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai.
-1986, ‘Seven For Seven’ – exhibition of paintings by seven international artists, sponsored by Gallery-7, Hong Kong.
- 1993, Sixth Bharat Bhavan Indian Contemporary Art Biennial’s Grand prize, Bhopal.
- 1994, Sixth Bharat Bhavan Indian Contemporary Art Biennial’s Exhibition, Bhopal.
- 1996, He has also received several awards while at sir. J.J. School of Arts, Mumbai such as Kumari Ratan Wadke awards, Shirgaonkar Awards, Mayo Awards.
- 1996, Solo exhibition at Gallery Jean Cocteau, Alliance Francaise de Bombay, in association with Cymroza Art Gallery, Mumbai.
- 1996, Solo exhibition at Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai.
- 1997, Solo exhibition at ‘NAZAR’, a Gallery of contemporary art, Baroda.
- 1997, 43rd National Exhibition’ organized by Lalit Kala Academy, Bangalore.
-2001, Invited to participate in IIFA Art Show presented by Tao Art Gallery along with the International Institute of Fine Arts, on CNBC Channel, Mumbai.
– 2003, Solo show at Bombay Art Gallery, Mumbai.
- 2005, Solo show of paintings at Viart gallery, New Delhi.
- 2005, Solo show at Bombay Art Gallery, Mumbai.
- 2006, Solo show at Shridharani art gallery, New Delhi, organized by Bombay Art Gallery, Mumbai.
-2007, ‘MONOLOGUE, moulding the human clay’ solo show At Tao art gallery, Mumbai.
- 2012, 51ST Annual exhibition, organized by Birla Academy of Art & culture, Kolkata
- 2018, 'SARANG’, a senior artist’s group exhibition
– 2018, Busan, Republic of Korea.
- 2018. He is also the proud recipient of many awards which includes the Bendre- Husain Scholarship Award, Mumbai.